[TypicalGirls] 15 must-haves for the beginning girl rocker (part 3)

Dina Hornreich dina.hornreich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 09:59:40 EDT 2007

Please wlaborate on the Pearl Harbor suggestion. I know next to nothing!

I've titled it "Must-have CDs for Girl Rockers." So I guess the music should
be available in that form. However, I say that with some misgivings because
the downloadable format is becoming the norm especially among the younger
crowd. I teach ESL in a Charter High School for immigrants aged 16-20, and I
see that many of my students have iPods and MP3 players for which they
purchase music online (e.g. iTunes). There are those that do have CD
players, but they cart around mostly burned material (mixes and such).

I even debated the myspace format which would allow for easy and free access
to out-of-print materials such as Dolly Mixture. However, as far as I know,
you can't take that material with you. Besides, I'm ambivalent about myspace
these days especially for the younger crowd!

I narrowed our list down to 1975-1984 because that was the general time
period I intended when I created the listserv. I've been waffling on that
decision, but (in the end) I'm going to stand by it.

If you want to compose a tree, then I say go for it! In the description, I
specifically say "pre-riot grrrl innovators" so context is key here...

-Dina