[TypicalGirls] TG Presents (draft) - BLURBS WANTED!

kendra hadlock eyekendra at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 00:28:10 EDT 2007

Sorry I didn't really read this latest post and see you do have No New Work

As for blurbage:

Siouxsie - (it should be noted) that Miz Sioux herself sortof prompted
that whole Sex Pistols cursing on television controversy caused by the
host's flirting with her.  That was maybe a pivotal moment for punk in
general.  and the weird connection of Budgie actually drumming on Cut.

YPants - diy at it's best.  I can listen to them on repeat every day
and never grow tired of it.  The best girl band of all time! (bold
statement, I know) They took me where I wanted the Raincoats to go.
(and I adore the Raincoats) but Y Pants is this nearly delicate but
fiercely independent and wholly unusual balance of improvised toy
instrumentation and catchy girl-singing.  And still under the radar.
(and not easy to find) I stole my copy from my ex-boyfriend.

and what about Wendy O Williams?

thanks again
-Kendra Hadlock

On 6/2/07, Dina Hornreich <dina.hornreich at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Typical Girls Listserv Presents:
>
> Must-Have CDs for Girl Rockers!
>

> Altered Images: "I Could Be Happy: The Best of Altered Images" collection
> (SONY)
>

> Au Pairs:  "Stepping Out of Line" 2CD anthology (Castle)
>

> The Avengers: "Died for Your Sins" live, demos, oddities, and out of print
> tracks (Lookout!)
>

> Bangles: "All Over the Place" 1984 debut album reissue (SONY)
>
> Their first full-length, and an absolutely terrific power-pop album with
> touches of the "paisley underground" psychedelic vibe.  Notable feature: all
> four of them wrote songs and sang leads (and harmonies), although all the
> hits they're remembered for were sung by Susanna Hoffs, and almost all of
> them were covers… I put "James" on a mix CD a few years ago, and half a
> dozen people emailed me to ask "were the Bangles always that awesome?"
> (Douglas Wolk)
>

> Bush Tetras: "Boom in the Night" collection of demos and EPs 1980-83 (ROIR)
>

> Crass: "Penis Envy" 1981 album reissue (Crass)
>
> All their early records had a huge influence on me and every punk girl I
> knew. (Sharon Cheslow)
>

> Delta 5: "Singles and Sessions 1979-81" (Kill Rock Stars)
>
> A funky, feminist-minded group -- that featured more males than females.
> With two bass players and songs like the often-covered "Mind Your Own
> Business" and "You", Delta 5 stand out as one of the best from a scene that
> featured several female-friendly bands. (Bob Moore)
>

> Essential Logic: "Fanfare in the Garden" 2CD retrospective (Kill Rock Stars)
>

> ESG: "A South Bronx Story" retrospective (Universal Sound)
>

> Go-Go's: "Beauty and the Beat" 1981 debut album reissue (A&M)
>
> From singles like "Our Lips are Sealed", which was co-written by former
> Specials member Terry Hall, to the fantastic b-side "How Much More?" this
> album features some happy, upbeat music. A song doesn't have to be angry or
> political to be functional, right? Plus, how many other bands had three
> great songwriters? (Bob Moore)
>

> LiLiPUT: (formerly named Kleenex) self-titled 2CD complete collection (Kill
> Rock Stars)
>
> This compilation is incredible, I really don't know how else to put it! I
> think this one stands out a bit from the other similar reissues, I can't
> explain why exactly. (Jamie J.)
>

> Lene Lovich: "Stateless" 1978 album reissue (Rhino) {IMPORT VERSION IS
> RECOMMENDED}
>
> If you have the chance to hear the UK mix of the Lene Lovich LP (not sure
> which is on the Rhino CD) it is radically different --and far superior.
> (Chuck Warner)
>

> Marine Girls: "Lazy Ways/Beach Party" 1983+1981 double album reissue on 1 CD
> (Cooking Vinyl)
>

> Martha and the Muffins: "Far Away in Time" collection (Caroline)
>
>             Catchy pop rock with a slightly ironic edge to it, and Canadian
> content. (Tim Murphy)
>

> Maximum Joy: "Unlimited 1979-1983" collection (Crippled Dick Hot Wax)

> [...]

the shortest distance between two people is a story