[TypicalGirls] Bangles/Family Fodder

Douglas Wolk dbcloud at panix.com
Sat Jun 2 20:04:02 EDT 2007

As far as the Bangles go, I'd strongly endorse "All Over the
Place"--their first full-length, and an absolutely terrific power-pop
album with touches of the "paisley underground" psychedelic vibe.
Notable feature: all four of them wrote songs and sang leads (and
harmonies), although all the hits they're remembered for were sung by
Susanna Hoffs, and almost all of them were covers. (They were _very_
good at picking covers: the two non-originals on "AOtP" are the
Waves' "Going Down to Liverpool" and the Merry-Go-Round's "Live,"
both excellent and non-obvious choices, and their reunion album a few
years ago, "Doll Revolution," drew its name from their cover of Elvis
Costello's late-period "Tear Off Your Own Head.")

I put "James" on a mix CD a few years ago, and half a dozen people
emailed me to ask "were the Bangles always that awesome?"

Sadly, Family Fodder's "Savoir Faire" is now out of print and not
coming back, at least not in that form (although Alig's been working
on compiling a revised best-of).

Douglas