[TypicalGirls] 15 must-haves for the beginning girl rocker (part 3)

Chuck Warner chuck at hyped2death.com
Sat Jun 2 14:24:49 EDT 2007

I'll admit I haven't heard Oh-OK's 'Complete Recordings' CD, but am I
the only one here who's wondering what they're doing on this list?
The 7" is cute, the 12" is fine for what it is (surely it's not hard
to see how much of that was Mitch Easter --and Matthew Sweet), but if
there's only going to be four American bands wouldn't the early
Bangles material be a fairer example? To say nothing of "Horses". And
if it's okay to have boys in the band, surely Exene's share of the X
material rates a (required) listen.  (Better yet, X and the Richard &
Linda Thompson LPs belong at the top of any list of how to write
great songs with your lover.  Only the songs survive...)

If you have the chance to hear the UK mix of the Lene Lovich LP (not
sure which is on the Rhino CD) it is radically different --and far
superior.  And since we're talking education and inspiration rather
than music-history, the Siouxsie 'hits' collection is surely the
better choice.  Have I mentioned Patti Smith recently?

peace,

C.

--
Chuck Warner