[TypicalGirls] Rough Trade launch digital store

Jason Gross perfect at furious.com
Sun Nov 12 12:29:40 EST 2006

>Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:20:05 -0500
>From: mike at appelstein.com
>
>ah, but will they have the actual early RT catalogue?  what a coup
>that would be.

As nice as that would be, there's several problems with that.

Previously, RT hasn't had any interest in reissues of late 70s/early
80s bands and didn't even have the tapes for the material anymore-
these facts might be related but they also understandably maintained
that they wanted to spend their time supporting their more recent acts.

RT also maintained that the rights to the material reverted back to
the bands so they would now have to have re-negotiate the rights for
all that material with the bands and the new labels that reissued
their material (i.e. Kill Rock Stars, Acute, Les Disques, whoever
Stiff Little Fingers works with now, etc.) if RT want to sell it now.

There's still plenty of things from that same time period waiting for
reissuing but I don't know if that's exactly what RT is interested in
though I do hope so.  I know that RT is still close to Green/Scritti
though and they may have interest in having some of the mid/late 80s
material come out again.

Best,
Jason

P.S. Since someone else asked about it, Paul Cook's daughter Polly is
a back-up singer in the new Slits band.

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>