[TypicalGirls] Boston Slits

Jason Gross perfect at furious.com
Sat Nov 4 08:42:00 EST 2006

>Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:51:47 -0500
>From: "Lani Smith" <LSmith at minlib.net>
>Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Boston Slits        show/Mo-dettes/Thank
>         you.../Nightingales
>
>As I mentioned, a friend with similar taste really didn't like the show. I
>think it's a real division between dancehall/dub and punk/rock. Seriously,
>what's a real Slits fan to expect!!? Dare I say it's a racial divide?? This
>begs the question of venues, and how much they play music, or draw audiences
>that "cross over". I also wonder why people resist, after all these years
>the seamless (in my mind) and beautiful blend of musical styles.

That's a very good point.  When Ari asked the NYC crowd if they
wanted to hear more punk or reggae, guess what they wanted?  Anyone
dissing them for being too much Kingston and not enough UK anarchy
hasn't really listened to their records it seems (or only remembers
them from some early Peel sessions and Once Upon A Time).  Sad.

And yes, they've had sound problems earlier in the tour too.  At the
Knit, they had problems with this loud feedback buzzing.  Also, you
couldn't hear Ari's voice at times and one of the guitarists later
told me that she couldn't hear anything from the rest of the band so
she had to watch them playing to pick up cues.  They did have a
sound-check beforehand but whoever worked the board for that show
didn't do their job well.

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>