[TypicalGirls] Boston Slits show/Mo-dettes/Thank you.../Nightingales

Lani Smith LSmith at minlib.net
Fri Nov 3 15:51:47 EST 2006

Thanks for pointing out the Boston Phoenix article, looking forward to
reading it. Interesting to hear, at least from Jason's mention of the Voice
review that Ari complained about the sound, since it sounds like there's
been sound problems at each stop on the tour so far. She SHOULD "complain"!!
It may not sound important to get the bird sounds right, but YES, IT IS! I
liked the way she vocalized the dub feedback sounds rather than relying on
feeback, imagine if she had to rely on the sound system for that too!

As I mentioned, a friend with similar taste really didn't like the show. I
think it's a real division between dancehall/dub and punk/rock. Seriously,
what's a real Slits fan to expect!!? Dare I say it's a racial divide?? This
begs the question of venues, and how much they play music, or draw audiences
that "cross over". I also wonder why people resist, after all these years
the seamless (in my mind) and beautiful blend of musical styles.

Tonights show in Brooklyn looks like it'll be amazing. I want a full
report!!
- Lani