[TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 89, Issue 7

Jason Gross perfect at furious.com
Sat Feb 18 12:23:16 EST 2006

>Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:27:59 -0800 (PST)
>From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] rough trade
>
>I think that only applies to what was happening at
>that point much later on. My understanding of the
>stuff Rough Trade released when they were more "co-op"
>oriented is that the artists owned their own stuff. I
>do know for a fact, that Rough Trade and/or Geoff
>Travis do not own any of the late 70s/early 80s stuff,
>that all that is owned by the artists...or in many
>cases whatever company owns that artists material.

True, that's the case but it's sad that RT didn't keep a good archive
of the tapes involved.  They did have it all as far as I know up til
the 90's when they got into a deal with One Little Indian and might
have actually given them the tapes of the early material.  After that
mess untangled (for a while, RT didn't have the rights to use their
own name), it seems that the tapes were lost (or they forget who had
them).  Up til that time, they would let a label like Razor & Tie
license some tracks and let them copy the material from the original sources.

Even before the OLI deal, I had asked RT if they'd reissue "Wanna Buy
A Bridge" and they weren't particularly interested, saying it'd be
too much of a hassle to work out details with each of the bands.  Dan
S had been keen to take up the torch for that.  Is that still
so...?  On this list alone, we have the contacts for Kleenex, Logic,
D5, YMG, the Raincoats and probably others.

Best,
Jason

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>