[TypicalGirls] Noh Mercy [was: Re: Pink Section & Noh Mercy]

HunnyPi007 at aol.com HunnyPi007 at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 04:33:01 EDT 2005

thanks for posting that, oliver, as i've never seen a photo of the
mytsterious noh mercy before.

decided to google them to see what would come up and found these tid-bits:

two more cool photos at
http://www.p0ps.com/PunkRockPictures/ClubShows/img_NohMercy.html
and
http://p0ps.com/PunkRockPictures/ClubShows/img_NohMercy_2.html

jim jocoy at his spring 2005 show in baltimore's g-spot featuring his photos
from 1978-1980 that appear in his book "We're Desperate":   "'That girl on the
left is now a henna artist. She was in the band, Noh Mercy.' He shakes his
head. 'They were brilliant, really brilliant.'"

this one from the san franciso chronicle, august 2005: After mentioning the
New Yorker's story about Tyler Cassity and green burials, I heard from
Esmerelda Kent, designer and manufacturer of green (not necessarily the color of
shamrocks, but environmentally correct) burial shrouds. It was a shroud made by her
company, Kinkaraco, that was used for Nate on "Six Feet Under.''
Kent describes herself as a former diva in the Angels of Light and the punk
rock band Noh Mercy, and costume designer "for the likes of Busta Rhymes and
Industrial Light and Magic.''
Shrouds are "reinforced for stability,'' says her Web site, www.kinkaraco.com
, and come with permanently attached devices for lowering the body into the
grave. The top-of-the-line Royal Deity shroud, possibly made of antique
textiles, can cost as much as $5,000, but the price range starts at $199 wholesale,
and Kent describes her Purelight plain linen shrouds as "very reasonable,
especially ordered in quantity.''   (her company's motto:  “Look beautiful—in the
last thing you’ll ever wear.")

someone posted on an online forum (at planbmag.com):   "It's about time
someone did an article on the whole Bob last/fast product/pop aural thing. there i
so little infomation on the web. like who were Noh Mercy? that caucasion guilt
track is one of if not the the most powerfull musical statements i've ever
heard"

and just found this great piece at
http://www.rockbottomvm.com/rb_music/pages/features/spasticbeat/spasticbeat.html:

"NOH MERCY: ‘Caucasian Guilt’ (‘Earcom 3’ comp. e.p. / Fast Product 1979)
Bob Last sure was an envelope pusher when it came to releasing records. Thank
Christ. The same firebrand who gave Britain its first taste of the Dead
Kennedys as well as an eclectic and unpredictable collection of releases such as
the Melon's ‘Where Were You’, Gang Of Four’s ‘Damaged Goods’ and the lesser
known but absolutely superb ‘Horrorshow’ by Scottish hopefuls, the Scars.
Towards the end of the 70’s, Last put out a trio of compilations called ‘Earcom’
showcasing the talents of some more DIY-orientated acts, which is where San
Francisco’s Noh Mercy came to light. To my limited knowledge, these were two
teenage girls – one pounding out a primal rhythm on a battered sounding drumkit
while the other screeches incandescently over the top. And that’s it. And it’s
incredible. A vicious diatribe against political correctness, ‘Caucasian Guilt’
 spits venom so caustic it’s utterly terrifying.
On first hearing it at the tender age of 12, even my shaky moral fibre called
into question such near-the-knuckle lines as ‘I don’t care if faggots call
me a cunt / I don’t care if they take me out to lunch / I don’t mind high
heels on a dyke / just don’t knock me off of my bike’, but this is a song of
protest, not of predjudice. In a PC age gone wild, ‘Caucasian Guilt’ is a call
for the elimination of barriers created by those who sought to break them down
in the first place. They conclude: ‘need no Caucasian guilt / I’m ready for a
brand new race / one concerned with the way you evolve / not the arrangement
of your face.’ This and its accompanying track ‘Revolutionary Spy’ on the ‘
Earcom 3’ e.p. are their only available recordings as far as I can tell. There’
s a couple of pictures and various brief mentions if you scour the web, but
aside from that, Noh Mercy remain an angry enigma. I kinda like it that way."

me too! (but i can't resist a little googling...)

and here's where someone posted "caucasian guilt":

http://www.post-literate.com/gerpunx/archives/noh%20mercy%20-%20caucasian%20guilt.mp3

the file plays really badly (weird glitchy-sounds that aren't on the original
recording) but it'll give you an idea of what all this raving is about.   the
same person also posted "revolutionary spy" but it appears to be gone so no
point in listing the url here.   guess i'll still have to rip these tracks from
my vinyl.   ; )

lydia