[TypicalGirls] FW: You Can Download Dolly Mixture Stuff Here...

Mike Appelstein mike at appelstein.com
Tue Apr 5 08:29:07 EDT 2005

See, I admit my own hypocrisy here as well.  I downloaded the BBC
sessions, thereby taking $$ away from the copyright owner, and if I
didn't have Demonstration Tapes, I'd have downloaded that too.  I'm
enough of a Dolly Mixture fan that of course I'd buy the legit version,
too.  I do think the situation here is different from the Desperate
Bicycles.  If I understand correctly, the Deperate Bicycles have
expressly refused *any* reissuing.  I think that opens up more of a
case (albeit one that would not stand up in court) for sharing the
music.  But Dolly Mixture has never shut the door on a reissue
project.  Debsey, at least, has been approached more than once, and has
never said no - in fact, she's been amenable to such a project for
awhile.  I wish she, Rachel and Hester would work faster on getting it
done.  But it's clear that at least some of the band members see some
value in those old recordings.  I don't know.  I wonder if, rather than
heighten their motivation to get a proper reissue off the ground, this
would kill it entirely.

I don't know.  It's a thorny issue, and it's not if my hands are clean,
either.  Maybe Slim or Erin or Jason, who've actually worked on such
reissue projects, have some opinions?

-Mike