Stay F---! | April 26

Carrie McLaren stay.free at verizon.net
Tue Apr 26 17:31:02 EDT 2005

"Since we've got a new issue coming out next month, I'm trying to get
more of the back issues on the website. Here are a few items from issue
#22, which came out last spring:

THE DARK SIDE OF DOG BREEDING.
Why can't purebred retrievers retrieve? How do sickly powder puffs win
dog shows? What makes a dalmatian a dalmatian? Historian James Serpell
discusses humanity's kinship with canines.
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/22/

STAY FREE! POP QUIZ
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/22/pop-quiz.html

MY NEW FAVORITE THING.
Books, movies, and other items we fancy:

       Martin and Rowan's Laugh-In (TV)
       Channel 101.com (video comedy)
       Manic (movie)
       USSR-Airspace.com (website)
       Wizard People, Dear Reader (movie)
       My hot glue gun (tool)

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/22/

BIG IDEAS
Stay Free! readers share their get-rich-quick schemes and
entrepreneurial experiences.
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/22/entrepreneurial.html

- - - - - - - -

FROM THE BLOG
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org

WIZARD PEOPLE SCREENING IN NYC - TUES. MAY 31

Stay Free! is pleased to announce that we'll be screening Brad Neely's
Wizard People, Dear Reader, here in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, on
Tuesday, May 31st, at Southpaw (5th Ave. between Sterling and St.
John's). This will be part of the release party for our upcoming issue,
Stay Free! #24. Details to follow... If you're not yet familiar with
Wizard People and Warner Brothers' attempts to shut it down, check out
this NPR feature.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/wizard_people_s.html

STAY FREE! T-SHIRTS FOR SALE

In a renewed quest to financially justify the time I spend on Stay
Free!, I've started a t-shirt "shop" via CafePress.com. Lots of parody
corporate logos, etc.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/stay_free_tshir.html
http://www.cafepress.com/stayfree

WALTON 342, SHAQ 350
Posted by Steve Lambert

Even you non-sports fans have heard of Shaquille O'Neal, right? Well,
did you know as a professional player he only makes about half of his
free throws? You know freethrows, those shots when no one is guarding
you. Now Artist Lee Walton has given Shaq a run for his money with Lee
Walton's 2004-2005 Free Throw Championship...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/walton_342_shaq.html

POCKET JUDGE

My friend Becky (and her friend Jeff) put together a nifty eBay auction
for "Pocket Judge(TM): Stick one in your hip pocket and it'll be hip to
YOUR special interests."
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/pocket_judge.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6527746357

DIABETES ASSOCIATION FLIP-FLOPS ON DIABETES

The American Diabetes Association recently announced its new
partnership with Cadbury Schweppes, which... ok... may not be the most
ironic sponsorship deal I've heard of -- that would be Coca-Cola's
sponsorship of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) --
but it's close.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org

I FAKE IT SO REAL I AM BEYOND FAKE
Posted by Charles Star

Since I am now the resident breast-news poster, I bring you the
Evolution by Margarita bra. According to the Brastraps.com press
release: "[Evolution] features a sculpted, graduated cup specially
designed to mimic the appearance of cosmetic breast implants by lifting
and slightly separating each breast to appear fuller and firmer both in
and out of clothing."
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/i_fake_it_so_re.html

HOW TO FAKE A TOWNHALL MEETING

Here's an awesome clip from the Daily Show about the Bush
administration's penchant for staging television-friendly (that is,
fake) townhall meetings. The interview with Republican wordsmith Frank
Luntz is priceless. This guy is such a brilliant media strategist and
yet he seems absolutely unaware that the Daily Show coorespondant
(Samantha Bee) us gunning for him.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/update_on_video.html

WHERE HAVE ALL THE CORKIES GONE?
Posted by Jason Torchinsky

So earlier today my friend Galen sent me this email:
"Has Rosie O'Donnell ever made you laugh? Go to http://www.cbs.com and
watch the promo for Riding the Bus with my Sister. She may have single
handedly set back mental retardation 100 years.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org

HOW TO RIG A DRUG TRIAL

There's been lots of research comparing manufacturer-sponsored medical
research to the old-fashioned, unsponsored kind, and the results are
pretty much what'd you expect: "Studies sponsored by pharmaceutical
firms were four times more likely to show results favoring the drug
being tested than studies funded by other sources." How do academics do
it and still maintain scientific credibility? The Carlat Report has
come up with a handy summary of tips drug companies use to steer
clinical trial results in their favor...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/how_to_rig_a_cl.html

NYC'S RECIPE FOR DEPRESSION

New York is beginning a broad, citywide program to encourage primary
care doctors to screen people for depression. Participating doctors
(and the goal is to have ALL primary care doctors in the city hospital
system participating) will ask any patient they consider at risk nine
questions, developed in tandem with the RAND corporation: In the past
two weeks, how often have you been bothered by trouble concentrating on
things? Feeling tired or having little energy? Poor appetite or
overeating? Not making the list: How many hours a week are you working?
Do you get along with your boss? Have enough money to pay rent? Recent
break-ups? Family problems? You get the idea...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/depressed_now_y.html

DEPRESSED? NOW YOU WILL BE...

While working on a comment to my previous post (about New York City's
new plan to encourage primary care doctors to screen patients for
depression), I discovered that the Bush administration has been pushing
to expand mental health screening nationally. Why is this a problem?
Well, for one thing, according to the MindFreedom Support Coalition, a
human's rights group, pharmaceutical companies, in conjunction with the
(scary) American Enterprise Institute, are writing the rules. And those
rules call for more coercive treatments such as forced (court-ordered)
drugging.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/depressed_now_y_1.html

HOPE IN THE DARK
Posted by Steve Lambert

Author Rebecca Solnit starts Hope in the Dark: Untold Stories, Wild
Possibilities off by discussing artist Mark Lombardi. Lombardi was half
journalist, half artist. Through intense research he was able to
visually chart out the networks that link centers of power together in
large scale drawings. He did it so well, the FBI actually came to the
Whitney Museum in 2001, viewing his work to aid their investigation of
Osama Bin Laden. Lombardi was able to research and synthesize an
incredible amount of information in is work, and for complex reasons,
he committed suicide in 2000. However, living with the information and
detailed understanding of the world he had in his head it's easy to see
how depression overcame him.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/hope_in_the_dar.html

REPORT: KIDS HOSPITALIZED FOR ILLITERACY

 From Australian Associated Press: A report by the Australian government
has found that children's clinics in hospitals across Australia are
being swamped with patients whose only problem is their inability to
read. The head of the government's inquiry into reading, Ken Rowe, said
hospital psychology clinics were straining to cope with children
seeking medical attention for problems caused by their failure to learn
at school. "Hospitals are complaining that their clinics are being
filled with kids who are being referred for things like (ADHD)," he
told the Sydney Morning Herald. "But once the pediatricians sort out
the children's literacy problems the behaviour problems disappear."
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/report_kids_hos.html

GEORGE JETSON GETS A PRESENT FROM DOVE
Posted by Charles Star

Everyone I talk to adores the new Dove Styling ads in which famous
cartoon women all get product-aided makeovers. But Dove Styling
apparently confers an unspoken benefit: bigger breasts. Because the
hair is so different, your instinctive response is to credit the new
haircut for the revamped looks. But these cartoon women have more than
a healthy glow in their hair. Each of their bodies has been "improved"
in subtle but unmistakable ways. Let's go to the videotape.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/george_jetson_d.html

ADVERTISERS: TRIX AREN'T FOR KIDS

The makers of Hostess Twinkies, Nestle Crunch, and Little Debbie cakes
have come up with an unexpected response to critics who blame them for
marketing junk food to kids: denial. "Hostess is not a kids' brand,"
says Jacques Roizen, chief marketing officer for Interstate Bakeries
Corp., maker of Hostess snack cakes and fruit pies. "A majority of our
snacks are consumed by adults." The target customer for Baby Ruth candy
bars? "Definitely adult men," says Barb Skoog, spokeswoman for Nestlé
SA.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/twinkees_the.html

NYU ROBOTS LAUNCH AD CAMPAIGN FOR THE CIA

Whoops, I mean students, not robots: New York University Professor
Jacob Jacoby and his students are running an ad campaign to promote the
Central Intelligence Agency as an "exceptional employer...."
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/cia_nyu_robots_.html

THE NEW SUV PSAS ESUSEEKAY

Inside1suvadWhile I am not an anti-SUV zealot like some around here,
I'm not particularly thrilled to see them in a place like Brooklyn. But
even I realize that a new SUV-safety PSA making the rounds is symbolic
of everything that is wrong with SUV culture.

In the first commercial of this campaign, which first aired during the
Super Bowl, a combination of a tauntaun, a beast from Where the Wild
Things Are and a Range Rover -- an esuvee, of course -- comes hurtling
out of a rodeo gate pitching to and fro, its driver hanging on for dear
life.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/while_i_am_not_.html