[pleurothallid-l] Mounting Pleuothallis pectinata upside down?

geiger at vetigastropoda.com geiger at vetigastropoda.com
Wed Jun 15 20:48:18 EDT 2011

Dear Jim,

thanks for the info. I got mine also from SBOE. Re growing conditions, that what I use as well (60-80/85F, 80%RH, ~1000
fc, in greenhouse with Masdevallias, other Pleurothallids [e.g. nossax] and Draculas). I did google-image the species and
have seen a few more hanging mounts displayed:
-http://www.flickr.com/photos/orquidariogabi/page9/

The Missouri Botanical Garden website has an old account (Marti, Eichler & Urban, 1893-96: Flora Brasiliensis) on-line.
Looked for habitat information in there. The illustration shows the plant rooted straight to a branch, with the leaves
upright, which is obviously impossible. The habitus is described with hanging secondary stems (= leaf petioles) (Caules
secundarii penduli), so the description is better than the illustration. Habitat indication (p. 413) is only in virgin forests =
jungle? (sylvis virgineis) and on trees (arboribus) at elevations of roughly 1000 ft (370 m). Flowers June through September.

Daniel

On Wed Jun 15  6:05 , "James Rassmann"  sent: