[pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia niesseniae

mhach at ix.netcom.com mhach at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 12 14:37:58 EDT 2007

Lisa-

This "species" does have the ability to bloom with more than one flower per peduncle. I firmly believe that M.niesseniae is actually Masd.Oriole (vietch.x.reichenbachiana) they have exactly the same flower, growth habit and bloom simultaneously in my collection and are indestinquishable when placed side by side. My plants of M.niesseniae came from Andrea Niessen and Lynn so I am pretty confident that I have "the real thing". I know of no other species in the coccinea section (which it supposedly belongs to) that has that ability.
The only way we will know for absolute is if we can have some DNA work done on the plant. It appears to me that there are several possible hybrids (natural or otherwise) that have been recently described as species - very similar to the problems that have occurred in the genus Dracula over the years.
Sincerely
Marc
NJ USA