[pleurothallid-l] introduction and pleurothallid identification request

Brian O'Brien bobrien at gustavus.edu
Wed Jun 8 20:42:54 EDT 2005

To All,
     I recently joined both this list and the Pleurothalld Alliance, and
have long been interested in species orchids, including those that might be
considered by some to be 'insignificant'.  I could, for instance, imagine
myself concentrating only on Appendicula or Agrostophyllum - though there
are too many 'botanicals' in the world to make that a realistic (or
desirable...) goal.  And I like  beautiful, larger  flowers a great deal,
as well.  I currently grow humidity-dependent orchids in an Orchidarium,
modified with timers for both for the fan and for an external humidifier
(the humidifier operates through a hole cut in the side of the case) to
keep the humidity sufficiently high, especially in the very dry indoor
winters here (Minnesota).  I am also the designer of the Wardian case
described at http://www.orchidlady.com/wardian1.html. (The case worked just
fine for a long time, but I took it down after a tornado hit here, and the
space needed to be converted.  I'm considering construction of a new,
improved one, however, to supplement the Orchidarium  - my orchid
collection is growing in size, even though I try to limit myself to small
species...).
    Given my growing conditions (unavoidably hot in the winter - a
centrally heated building in a cold climate; a Wardian case is an absolute
necessity, and even that requires a lot of maintenance), I would like to
know of particularly heat-and/or-drought-tolerant pleurothallids.
    There are P. tribuloides and P. schiedei plants in the college
greenhouse right now, where the humidity is more or less maintained, but
they haven't flowered for a long time (though they're vegetatively
robust).  Do those need to be chilled at a particular time?
    With regard to my specific request from members of this list, I bought
a pleurothallid from Belize from a nursery in Florida a couple of years
ago.  I took it to a meeting of the Orchid Society of Minnesota a couple of
months ago, and asked Kathy Creger about its identity - Kathy thinks that
it is a Trichosalpinx, which is a welcome identification.  I sent a photo
of this plant in flower to the OGD a couple of years ago - it generated
some comments from people who thought that it was interesting, but brought
no identification as to species.  It's a fascinating plant, in that it has
thick, heavy, highly succulent leaves that shrink when it's about to
flower, which it does several times a year.  The leaves then enlarge again
- they are obviously reservoirs.  It flowers multiple times on one
individual leaf, and the individual leaves are long-lived.  I'll paste in a
photo after this message.  The plant is in a 3 1/2" or 4" pot (I'm at home
right now, and don't have the exact pot size).
    I had thought, at the time that I bought this plant, that perhaps I
shouldn't buy it, due to its possible difficulty - but it has become one of
my favorite plants, among both orchids and xerophytes (and aroids,
gesneriads, etc....).
    I would greatly appreciate any insight into the specific identity of
this plant (or species to which it might be related) that anyone on this
list can provide.
    As a further bit of introduction with regard to my orchid and other
plant interests, I'm particularly interested in
African/Madagascan/other-Indian-Ocean-Island orchids (and in orchids from
other regions...).  I am also a xerophyte person (I have wonderful
east-facing windows in the labs where I work - those are populated with
plants that are designed to cope, in particular, with the conditions of a
hot, dry winter).  On the other hand, some winter growers are also included.
    This might, to a large extent, be the wrong forum for such a question
-  but I'll ask again anyway.  I would like to have advice on orchids that
will tolerate (or even prefer) drought and high temperatures during the
winter, should any of you know of such plants (are there any
xero-pleurothallids?), so that I can supplement my collection of other
xerophytes with such orchids.  I have some Madagascan Oeceoclades that fill
the bill, but would like to have others.  Right now, I have some Encyclias
and a couple of Angraecums that I think will be ok (some have already come
through one winter, in a north, dry window unscathed).  I'm planning to try
Ansellia africana, and have recently acquired Jumellea rigida, Angraecum
elephantinum, and Angraecum sororium to try.  I'm a bit concerned about the
A. sororium, though, and might have to move it into a better environment if
it doesn't shut down for the winter.

Thanks,
Brian

Emacs!