[pleurothallid-l] Restrepia cuttings

Ron Maunder pondeeza at enternet.co.nz
Wed Jan 5 13:37:41 EST 2005

Hi Dan,

More questions about propagating my/a Restrepia.

I have my Restrepia species here beside me at the computer to check
out your method of propagating the leaves.  The plant would have
40-50 erect leaves, reddish tinged on top and has numerous dried up
old flower stems.

Do the keikis come from the area where the dried up flower stems
originate or from the "nodes"? further down the stem at the base of
the dried up bracts?

Some leaves have up to 6 dried up flower stems under them. If this is
where the plantlets/keikis come from, should I trim/shorten these off
carefully so the plantlets can develop unrestricted?

Are those with six old flower stems too far gone to keiki? Do you get
more than six flowers from a leaf? The plant has never produced a
keiki itself over the years.

I'll dig out a jpg of the flower and send it to you to see if you can
put a name to the plant. It seems to be the most common Restrepia
form/species around New Zealand probably because its so hardy and
prolific.

Ron