[pleurothallid-l] pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 24, Issue 6

Michael Sandven msandven at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 31 12:55:02 EST 2005

Hi All,
I just started growing pleurothallid types last January, I live in Tampa,
FL. So far I've been doing well, better than I thought this past summer. I
built an 8 X 10 attached greenhouse with polycarb siding and roof. I have an
evaporative cooler, an under bench misting system, auto shutters, two fans
for circulation, and a 10,000 BTU A/C unit. Everything is automated.

The 3000 CFM evaporative cooler comes on at 80 degrees and the shutter opens
to let warm air out. The misting system is on a cycle timer. I play with the
settings still and will anyway depending on the humidity outside. The A/C
unit is on a timer as well as a thermostat set for 60 degrees. I found a
unit that I can lower the exchange of outside air and this helps keep the
humidity in. Sort of like a refrigerator. It is important to exchange some
air since the plants need fresh air to grow well. I've also installed one of
those wireless weather stations that records temp, humidity, and even wind
speed to my computer so I can tell what's going on.

Last summer I had three days that the temp went over 87 degrees and that was
only for three hours at most. The A/C brings the night temp all the way down
to 55/60 degrees. The temp differential helps to reduce stress of higher day
temps as well as providing the diurnal required for some plants to bloom. My
electric bill went up $20 per month last summer on average.

I also grow other things like; Lycaste, Zygos, Coelogyne, and Sophronitis.
My Sophronitis cernua has grown 10 new bulbs since I got it last March and
is opening 5 new pretty orange flowers 2.5 cm across today. And my coccinea
is budding.