[pleurothallid-l] humidification systems

Bell-Games, Tom tbellgames at burnip.com
Thu Dec 29 13:58:08 EST 2005

Linda,
If  you are trying to grow pleurothallids in Florida you are a braver
fool than I!  Just kidding.  Actually, I know others who do a great job
of it down your way.  And heat can be nearly as big a problem up here in
the summers too.  One thing I have started doing here for heat is to
move most of my cold or cool growers into the basement during summer.  I
have a large set-up with multiple levels, lights, etc that gets things
through our summer heat.  Unfortunately, a basement is a rare thing in
Florida.  My thought is that if I can get this humidity thing licked, it
will also help in cooling, at least when the ambient humidity is low.

I made a make-shift evaporative cooler at one point and used this in my
growing area.  I built a frame out of wood (about 3 feet wide and maybe
6 feet tall).  I had a 5 gallon bucket of water with a small submersible
(pond) pump in it.  This pumped water up through tubing and into a piece
of PVC pipe running across the top.  The PVC pipe had holes drilled in
it so water would drip down.  The water then passed over two aluminum
filters - I think these were for a furnace, got them at the hardware
store.  The water was then collected in a plastic tray under the wet
pads where it was directed back into the bucket.  I set up a box fan
behind the wet pads.  This circulated air through the wet pads which
then cooled and humidified the air.  It worked fairly well, but am
looking for something that is a bit more sturdy and reliable now.
Things started falling apart after a couple of years.

Oh to be one of those lucky growers over in the Pacific northwest or Bay
areas!

Tom Bell-Games