[pleurothallid-l] springtails

Michael Shrom shrommj at ptd.net
Mon Mar 8 08:44:26 EST 2004

	Do collembolla (springtails) do damage to orchids?    I found Kevin
Becrofts' article in the winter Pleurothallid newsletter interesting.
I'm bumping into lots of people that raise dart frogs and orchids.  I
do think it is a big mistake to advocate feeding fungus gnats to frogs.
  Most frogs won't eat them and it will be a tough job to get them out
of your plants and house and still keep things frog friendly.  I'm not
decided about springtails.  They are good food for small frogs but I
don't know if they will cause damage to the plants.  I feed swept
insects to some of my frogs.  To sweep for insects you just use a sweep
(butterfly) net and sweep in an insecticide and chemical free area.  I
don't use swept insects in the tanks that have orchids.  It introduces
all kinds of insects and other animals that might damage the orchids.
	The bid difference between a frog friendly and orchid friendly
environment is you are limited to what chemicals you can use with the
frogs.  I use fertilizer in my tanks and hydrogen peroxide for fungus
but not much of any other chemicals.
Michael Shrom