[pleurothallid-l] Foggers update

Linda Sedlacek lmg6534 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Fri Feb 6 08:57:36 EST 2004

I thought I'd add a little bit to the description of my orchidarium.  It
is placed on an interior wall that receives so little light that it does
not register on a light meter (<100 footcandles).  The temperature range
yesterday was 68 - 72 F and over the last few months 64 - 78 F.  I have
a small cut in the plexiglass for air to flow in and out of the
orchidarium.  The other orchids are doing well (Pleuro. longissima,
Pleuro. restrepiodes, Dracula felix, and Scaphosepalum rapax) and one is
sending out tons of new growth (Salpistele brunnea).  My Brachionidium
sp. arrived bare root and lost all but one leaf, but that one leaf has
persisted for over one month.  None of my orchids have bloomed yet, but
I haven't had them for 6 months yet.  The "stress" that I was concerned
about with my Octomeria sp. is that it suddenly started dropping leaves.
I lose at least 6 leaves a week.  I figured that it must be the
humidity, but I suppose some other factors may be at play.  I'll try the
air stone first, and see what happens.  Wish me luck!

Linda