[pleurothallid-l] Self- Cross pollination and protandry

Raymond L.Tremblay raymond at hpcf.upr.edu
Fri Aug 13 13:51:34 EDT 2004

Hello to all.

I'd like some information from anyone who has any and that are willing
to share.  I'm writing a paper at the moment in which I describe
protandry in three species of Lepanthes from Puerto Rico.  Protandry is
the process by which flowers mature from being at the male phase and
then become female.  in other words, in this case I show that flowers
of Lepanthes rubripetala, L. rupestris and L. woodburyana have very low
fruit set when flowers are one to five day old, while if flowers are
six or more days old fruit set goes up (the probaility of setting a
fruit).   These species of Lepanthes are also self-incompatible, this
means that if you use pollen from the same plant to pollinate it it
will not produce a fruit.

Now I was wondering about the other sister genera to Lepanthes,
Lepanthopsis and Frondaria, if anyone had done some pollinations in
these species (self and cross) and if flower age had any effect.   I'd
also be interested in any other information from any other group of
Pleurothallidinea you may have in regards to these parameters of
pollination.

Thanks to all of you.

Raymond

Raymond Tremblay