[pleurothallid-l] Michael

Michael Shrom shrommj at ptd.net
Wed Sep 17 17:20:14 EDT 2003

Hi Kathy,
	I picked out 5 orchids to get from Dr. Sanchez.   Dracula lotax,
Lepanthes calodyction, Restripia lansbergii, Masdevallia hirtzii, and
Masdevallia patula..  I intend to do some on plaques and some in pots.
  I will probably be keeping all of them in terrariums.   My frog
terrariums that have orchids in vary from 20 gallon extra high tanks to
about 65 gallon corner tanks.   I use pea gravel for the bottom
substrate with sheet moss over it.  The floor is decorated with coconut
huts, cork bark, grapevine, drift wood etc.  The back and some sides
have large slabs of cork bark.  I have siningias, jewel orchids, java
moss, etc. planted on the bottoms.   A small pond is hollowed out of
the gravel.  Most of the tanks have running water from 	a small pump.
I put most of the orchids on the slabs of cork.
	For now the orchids are on plaques of cork bark or tree fern and in
pots.  I drill holes in the big slabs of bark to hang the orchids.
When I am confident enough to take the orchids out of the pots and off
some of the small plaques I will mount them directly to the big slabs,
on grapevine, and possibly tree fern panels.  For now I don't want to
fasten them down to much so I can move them around.  The top of the
tank is covered partially with glass and partially with screen.  I have
computer fans for ventilation and mist twice a day.  The tanks are kept
at between 68F and 80F.
Michael