[pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5

Joorchids at aol.com Joorchids at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 13:32:13 EDT 2003

Yes..the plant Carlo had was grown in NZmoss.  I want to add something
here..I have over the years grown several hundred different types of
masdevallias..and some of them have been exquisite.  The key for me for flowering..is for
sure...not too much fert.  You are right..it does inhibit flowering..I switch to
bloom booster fert. for a couple months prior to prime blooming periods
depending on your location.  It is also very important...to not keep orchids in
NZmoss for too long as the moss gets toxic very quickly..I repotted almost every 6
months into a mix of NZmoss, tiny charcoal, and med. grade perlite.  this
with very dilute fert.mix. at 1/4 strength.  and no fert at all during cold
months.  (mostly cold at night..as I set refrig. to operate for 4 months at low of
50 during winter, high of 70degrees)  This was "my" winter.  artificial of
course. When I wanted to induce blooming again...i raised temps in
refrigerator...increased daylight hours..and voila!  blooms......Peter's bloom booster fert.
is good for this purpose.  Jodi