[pleurothallid-l] Dare I mention Masdevallia rosea again!

Ron Maunder pondeeza at enternet.co.nz
Tue Sep 9 01:12:37 EDT 2003

Carlo - and members,

After such a strong reaction from Jodi about your M. rosea and its
number of flowers, can I discreetly ask what mix you were growing it
in to get such good results?

My alba form is in 1:1 shredded sphagnum moss (NZ of course) and
shredded styrene foam.  I grow it in the Disa hydroponic tank during
the warmer months, then on the bench when the water temperature drops
down below about 15°C again.  We are getting some days now up to 15°C
but light frosts are still possible so I suppose it will go back in
the tank again in October.  It seems to love the constant fertiliser
in there and multiplies rapidly.

My pieces are in 7cm pots (probably 3" to you) and the best has only
about 6 flowers. One problem I find with it is that the flowers
spread their flowering so I don't get them all out at once in
pristine condition.  They stick out nicely at right angles from the
pot most of the time.

What is the popular potting mix for Masdevallias over your way?  Am
still looking for rosea alba pollen to set a pod on mine.

Ron Maunder - New Zealand