[pleurothallid-l] Aquarium Project

Alden106 at cs.com Alden106 at cs.com
Tue Oct 14 14:50:57 EDT 2003

       Here is how the Aquarium Project is progressing.
I'm using a 38Gal Tank. 36" long 12" wide 20"tall I covered 3/4 of the top
with 2 pieces of Lexan Plastic []from Lowes or Home Depot]
       I have one Muffin Fan 1600RPM could use a stronger one it runs
constantly. From electronicsplus.com on Internet. They have all sizes and are already
converted to 110V. Computer fans need to be rewired and " I no can do"
       I have one 24" Portable Grow Light Stick[ Walmart $10.] Time will tell
if this is enough. I'm keeping it on 12 hours per day.
       I tried the Foggers that were suggested but had problems with motors
burning out. I think the constant on and off with the timer was too much for
the size of the motors. Tried Two. I now have a ReliOn Ultasonic Cool Mist
Humidifier " 2Gal per day unit" Walmart" It sits on the OUTSIDE of the Tank and I
piped the unit with 2" flexible plastic tubing using PVC fittings for bends and
into The Humidifier opening. The 2" PVC almost fit the opening. I  had to
wrap it with Duct Tape for a better seal. This unit is the only one I could find
that had an opening that could be fit with a tube. I keep it on the lowest
setting possible and have it on a timer. The Humidity stays at 90 percent when it
is on. I am using Distilled Water and Have to fill the Humidifier every other
day. I have ordered a RO System cheaper in the long run and I can water my
other Orchids with better water.
       I have 3 Masd's and 3 Pleuro's in the Aquarium now and they are
beginning to show new growth.
       More later.
Al