[pleurothallid-l] Great stuff Lyn!

Ron Maunder pondeeza at enternet.co.nz
Sun Oct 5 15:54:00 EDT 2003

That was great. Thanks Lyn.  Just what I was hoping for.  I'm sure
your observations will make us stop and think a lot more about our
cultural methods.

I'll leave it to others to ask you some questions for now.  You will
be extra busy getting those LSU's (life support units!) altered and
installed for your new plants.  AND making room for your 165 new
babies!  I suppose as a temporary measure you could hang them on
wires overhead if you still have any head room available!

The cost to us here in New Zealand of getting to Ecuador is quite
high but the cost of quarantining plants in special certified
greenhouses for three months minimum is also considerable.  Then
there is the obtaining import permits and finding out if the
particular species is here already or has been in the past. No open
permits any more!  If it hasn't been recorded here previously (and no
national survey has ever been made!) then it can be &NZ75 to $NZ150
per plant to have it researched to see if it will ever become a plant
pest and if it might carry some noxious pest, bacteria or fungus in
its natural habitat!  The thought of that almost always ends ones
dreams of importing new plants!  Someday I might venture to tell you
all about the hassles of importing flasks into NZ - and exporting
them!  Seed?  Well thats another story too!

Nasty weekend here in NZ weatherwise.  We might not need all the
LSU's you in North America need ALL the time but the heaters will be
going on again for some of us! This last weekend we had gales,
torrential rain and now snow!  Not as bad as your Hurricane Isabel
but main highways closed by slips and windblown trees, overnight
freight plane down in the sea, woman washed away and thousands of new
born lambs frozen to death!  And I thought it was officially Spring
here!

Its dawned sunny and calm out there this morning with a very light
touch of frost on the new cut grass.  I'd better get out and prepare
for a busload of Japanese orchid growers and my last show later in
the week.

Cheers,

Ron Maunder  New Zealand