[pleurothallid-l] Re Aquarium Growing

Linda Sedlacek lmg6534 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Wed Oct 1 08:51:17 EDT 2003

Honestly Al, I'm just learning myself.  I have a 50 gallon aquarium that
is slowly being transformed into an orchidarium.  It's pretty crude
right now.  I don't have a top for it yet.  I have gravel along the
bottom and lots of water containers.  My light source is my college days
bed light (a tensor).  Plus I have a fan running.  The fan is a little
strong for the aquarium, one of my plants was pretty beaten up by it.
I'm afraid I don't remember what the strength of the fan is.  I
definitely don't recommend my setup.  I can't keep the humidity up
because it all escapes from the top of the aquarium.  I have some pretty
tough little plants in there right now that are very forgiving of my
conditions.  The plants that have held up the best are Pleurothallis
restrepiodes and Pleurothallis quadrifida (=P. longissima).  The P.
quadrifida was purchased from a Hawaiian grower that I know (Kawamoto
Orchids) who does not specialize in pleurothallids, but grows a few of
the hardier ones.  I don't know how much of this information will be
helpful, but here it is!

Linda