[pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia pollen

Ron Maunder pondeeza at enternet.co.nz
Sat Nov 29 15:31:32 EST 2003

To all..

The offer of pollen was not just to Marc.  Others interested should
contact me direct and I'll oblige while I'm financially and florally
able!

Locally if we share pollen, the donor is offered some plants of each
successful cross in return, free, Usually a flask of seedlings (up to
25 plantlets - 5 is often enough!).  The hybridiser has the right to
name the cross if they want.

With overseas donors in the past we have tried to give seed back by
post if they want it and on occasion send a flask back with a willing
visitor from the same country who agrees to send it on. The cost of
shipping and Phyto inspection etc is too expensive for just one
flask.  Thats why seed or pollen exchange is easier.

With new restrictions in some countries on the posting of seed (and
possibly pollen) things get complicated and even illegal.  The
anthrax scare in the USA has made the transfer of powders (seed?)
much more difficult.  Perhaps pollen is easier?

Comments invited!  A new thread?

Cheers,

Ron Maunder in New Zealand