[pleurothallid-l] (no subject)

Ron Maunder pondeeza at enternet.co.nz
Fri Nov 28 22:25:52 EST 2003

Hi Marc,

Send your snail mail address for datura pollen for your strobelii.
Don't think that cross is registered.  Thirty odd flowers to choose
from on datura at present.  Plant came from Marguerite Webb at J&L
years ago when she was over.  I divided up another piece of it last
year and it reacted badly.  Lost lots of leaves. So much so that some
pieces died or started again with just two leaves! Anyone on the list
know whether datura doesn't like division?

Yes, Masd veitchiana 'P de G' has a hidden gene.  Not sure about
'Sol' and other clones. When 'P de G' was crossed with alba coccinea
it gave 50% beautiful saffron yellow Falcatas with no
anthocyanin. These we call xanthics to distinguish them from white
albas.The name has been used before for the similar 'albino'
crispum-type Odontoglossums which are yellow or yellow and white
patterned.

The rest of our Falcatas from the cross were sunset colours - light
creamy backgrounds with some light pink or pale purple overlays.
Quite different from the normal rich coloured Falcatas with their
heavy purple overlays. Unfortunately all the cross have weaker
arching stems from the two parents. Most coccinea albas we've seen
have thin stems compared to the coloured ones which are usually
erect.  They are all beautiful and last a long long time on the
plants and cut too.

This line of Falcatas have given a new dimension of colours to our
normal alba, red, orange, cerise or sulphur yellow (also xanthic)
coccinea cut flowers.  We are crossing these saffrons with the
sulphur yellow coccineas (eg 'Wayne Miller') to see if some will
inherit the coccinea erect stem.  Ironically whether they turn out
gold or coloured the cross will still be called Towering Inferno!

Warning! There are problems encountered with this line of breeding
however.  Did you ever purchase a seedling outcross of Masd coccinea
alba and flower a cerise one and then heard they all turned out
non-albas?  Alba Cattleya species and maybe their hybrids when put
together can give big lavenders if you don't know the breeding habits
of the parents .  Unless you know that your coccinea alba gives
albas, you could be up for NO xanthics if you remake the Falcata
above. We only have one alba clone that we know for sure is "pure".
Even then we might be proved wrong in the future!

I should also mention that datura is NOT an alba.  No albino Bella
Donnas turned up to my knowledge when datura was crossed with
coccinea alba.  Perhaps the wrong alba was used?  Maybe someone on
the list will prove me wrong.  There is always that outside chance
that an alba will turn up anywhere I guess.  Disa hybridisers are
still hoping for a sparkling white alba uniflora to turn up!

You can see a "black" spot on datura at the base of the sepaline tube
where the ovary starts - from the outside it shows up.  To me this
explains why datura is not an albino, although it looks like one.
That dark spot comes through in the Bella Donnas and in most Lyn
Sherlocks (Bella Donna x coccinea again) it still just shows up as a
faded spot.  I have seen it in the Alyssa Marias (veitchiana x
datura) also.

Your strobelii is also a xanthic with its white hairs and no
anthocyanin.  It gave a percentage of clear orange xanthic-type Angel
Frosts with white "hairs" when crossed with veitchiana.  I think I've
seen pictures of xanthic Hoosier Angels somewhere from agaster x
veitchiana, though in the small population of Hoosier Angels which
came to NZ a xanthic hasn't turned up here, but they certainly carry
the xanthic gene.

I guess I have bored the warm growing members "out of their trees"
with all the above.  Now they know how I feel when the drift is all
terrariums, LSU's and whistling frogs!  Not that we can't all get
some new knowledge about growing pleurothallids by hearing about what
others have to contend with.  You have to be keen to grow most
Pleurothallid genera in your hot/cold climate in the USA! BTW no
offence intended.

Marc, its Masdevallia coccinea-types we are shipping right now.
Disas exports start in a week or two but the stronger NZ$ means not
so many flowers will be coming your way this year.(Was US42c but now
US63 cents to our dollar!) Too expensive for you now, but our costs
are still going up like everywhere so we can't afford to reduce our
prices from last seasons!  We will sell a lot off locally as pot
plants instead.

Cheers and apologies to all for the long "chat"!  Maybe it will start
a new "thread" or two.

Ron Maunder in NZ