[pleurothallid-l] Preserving pollinia

marc hachadourian mhach at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 23 21:49:38 EST 2003

Lynn-
    You can pass this advice onto Malli- I have been using the gelatin
capsules available at most health food store store pollen. . You can
write on them with a fine point sharpie and they are easily stored in a
fridge. I have not tested the viability of Masd pollen long term but I
have had luck with pollen that was several months old. When placing the
pollinia into the capsule you must remove the anther cap- it will grow
mold easily. The pollen should be refridgerated not frozen.Do not store
the capsules in an airtight container.  rolled plastic bag works well I
also drop a small silica gel drying pack (those things that come with
your stereo- etc)  into the bag and this will prevent excess humidity
from causing problems.
Its a trick that I learned from one of the worlds great orchid breeders.

Sincerely
Marc Hachadourian
NJ USA
P.S. It was great to finally meet you in Sacramento :)