[pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia rosea and rosea alba

Ron Maunder pondeeza at enternet.co.nz
Mon Aug 25 18:01:02 EDT 2003

Hi folk,

Question for Carlo (or any reader)

Jodi Hirt remembered you had a wonderful Masd. rosea out about 7-8
years ago in Elkhorn.  Is her memory correct?   How did you grow it
so well?  Its a fairly cool customer according to Rhodehamel's "A
Masdevallia Cultural Guide"

We have had no luck with the pink form but the alba form does pretty
well with us. Perhaps it is cooler or warmer than the pink form?  No
heating or cooling needed here for it of course.  Some years we get
better flowering than others. They are opening their first flowers
here at present.  Buds bright yellow on the outside but inside a
beautiful pure white.  Long narrow dorsal caudae hanging forwards and
creamy yellow inside.  Lateral tips yellow.

Have tried selfing but not much luck. Poor growers with no vigour.
Can't find another alba clone anywhere.  Have crossed it to other
Coccineae section albas and aureas but the few plantlets tiny as yet.
I would love to swap pollen with someone with another M.rosea alba
clone. Might have more success.

History of this clone is that it came from an excellent botanic
gardens collection or similar in San Francisco maybe ten years ago
but the main plant was destroyed along with others in a fire shortly
afterwards. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Does anyone on the list have it or know it?  I believe it is pretty rare.

Ron Maunder (New Zealand)