[pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 12

Charles Powell, II powell2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 25 00:31:52 EDT 2003

Marcus,

Some of the larger frogs might trample some of the smaller
Pleurothalids, but even the biggest Dendrobatid tops out at about 2
inches and many are under an inch.  They won't eat the snails or slugs,
but feed mostly on fruit flies and very young crickets.  The good part
of working with Dendrobatids (poison frogs) is that they are
beautifully colored from yellow to orange to blue to black and many
times with several different contrasting colors.  Because the are
poisonous in the wild (not in captivity) they are very bold and make
excellent terrarium subjects.  As for calls - the calls of most are
very soft and your not likely to hear them, but the few that do call
loud enough to hear outside of their terrarium sound like crickets, or
birds, not like any roaches I've ever heard of.

As I remember your in Brazil.  In the northern part of Brazil near the
Guyana shield area some species occur in Brazil.  If you'd like more
information on them you can contact me privately at
powell2 at sbcglobal.net (or anyone else for that matter).  Or I'm sure
Michael wouldn't mind answering questions either.

Best,

Chuck

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 09:06  PM, marcus wrote:

> My Pleurothallis are too small and fragile to human contact. They (the
> forgs)do not tramp on them, smashing flowers or breaking leaves? Are
> they useful in controling snails and slugs? Supose so, as they live
> behind the plaques, where the plages hide during daylight - they all
> are shy, aren't they? -that simbiosis (man-orchid-frog) can be of
> great value to people having nuisance with that moluscs in their
> greehouse.
> Anyway, congratulations in the management of such a complex eco-system.
> One more question that worries my wife: the frogs that live in my
> ranch make noises like "roach" that you can hear a hundred of feet
> away.  My wife, despite their beauty,  questioned me if your
> wife/children wouldn't complain about that.
> Some species of them also insist in visiting my bathroom when the
> weather is too dry (that seldom occours), startling everyone...Sorry
> for the joke.

Charles & Barbara Powell
powell2 at sbcglobal.net
www.hylaweb.com/frogday