[pleurothallid-l] Introduction

Joorchids at aol.com Joorchids at aol.com
Sat Aug 23 12:19:11 EDT 2003

Hi everyone...glad there is a pleuro. digest now.   A little about myself..am
retired microbiologist...have been growing orchids for about 45 years
now..used to have a large collection of masd. drac. and pleuros..but recently moved
to zone 9a..and the rest is history as they say.  I had great success growing
in a large Florist refrigerator for many years..but dear hubby didn't want to
spend the $$$ to move the behemoth to Florida.  It was a triple door model and
room for several hundred miniatures..so sad but wiser, I now am limiting my
collection to warm growing orchids.

Now I would like all of you wiser types to give me some free advice on what
"warm" growing pleurothallids are available and where.?  I am having some small
sucess with Sophronites cernua but all other varieties of Sophs have
croaked...guess that proves what heat tolerance I might need.  I do have a few
pleurothallids still alive...and am anxious to grow some more.

One of the happiest memories I cherish is a day about 7-8 yrs ago..when I met
Carlo B. in Elkhorn to have an orchid show and tell, and he brought the most
equisite Masdevalia..(I believe it was rosea).  I was speechless at this tiny
plants pristine beauty.  Thanks Carlo...it is a memory that is frozen in my
mental orchid library.

Jodi Hirt