[pleurothallid-l] small fogger / bubbler in propagation chamber

Katie Pleasance katie at katiesorchids.com
Mon Aug 11 12:42:55 EDT 2003

In the past I made a bunch of propagation chambers out of
clear plastic restaurant bins (25 quart [liter], I think).
I hung muffin fans an inch below the lid and kept an inch
of water in the bottom.

Amazingly (to me), de-flasked seedlings died of desication!

It appears that the breeze blew the moist air against far
wall of the bin, where the moisture drained into the water
at the bottom of the bin. This wind sucked the water out of
the plant and the sphagnum moss used as a medium.

The seedlings were potted in shallow propagation trays,
much like an egg-crate with a bottom. The bottom of each
little section of the tray had a drainage hole.

I watered the plants with a tank-type pesticide sprayer
daily, making sure that the sphagnum moss was medium was
soaked. Even though the humidity hovered near 100%, the fan
caused the plants to dry excessively.

I wonder if a bubbler in the water or a small fogger would
have solved the problem?

The propagation chambers are in storage until I find a way
to make them work better.

Katie