[pleurothallid-l] (no subject)

Jim Hamilton orchids at sonic.net
Fri Aug 1 12:49:43 EDT 2003

Katie,

Thanks for your note.  I'm familiar with your name as I've read your
postings on the OGD.

We are a commercial orchid nursery located in the rolling hills of west
Sonoma county.  We are near Bodega.  Although we grow sundry genera in two
large greenhouses, I have a special place in my heart for the
pleurothallidinae.  Do you know there's a Pleurothallid Alliance in the Bay
Area?  We meet every couple months, usually in a member's home and/or
greenhouse.  Last week we met at the Conservatory in San Francisco's Golden
Gate Park.  As you probably know, the Conservatory was heavily damaged by
high winds several years ago.  A $25 million dollar restoration is almost
complete and it opens to the public next month.  We were privileged to hold
our meeting there and get a preview of the new facility.  It's
fabulous!  They have a large pleurothallid collection, consisting mainly of
masdevallias and draculas.  Our members often help with the care and
grooming of the plants for display.  Every Saturday this month a work group
will be mounting masdevallias and draculas on tree branches for the main
exhibit area.  If you're interested in this group, let me know and I'll
give you the contact.

As I mentioned we grow a number of genera in two greenhouses, each 30" x
100'.  One is our intermediate to warm greenhouse and the other is our
intermediate to cool area where we grow the high altitude plants.  We're
about 95% species with a few hybrids (to avoid being called species
snobs).   I have a special fondness for pleurothallis and lepanthes.

We are open to the public by appointment.  If you're in our area, give us a
call and stop by.  We love visitors.  We ask that you call first because we
do many shows and travel a great deal.  We want to be sure we're here.  Our
particulars and web site are below.

Looking forward to this new list site,
Jim