[nafex] How does the nursery dig these long rooted trees?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 09:33:19 EST 2020

Mark, we use a cultivating (potato) fork and a King of Spades long handled
and bladed spade.  We also plant trees over a sheet of plastic to encourage
shallow rooting but haven't always done that.  It can take up to 30 minutes
to dig up a single tree and we are digging today and will be able to until
the ground freezes.  I believe the compost and mulch dressing reduces the
chance of winter injury.  Cycles of freeze and thaw could otherwise be a
problem.