[nafex] The heartbreak of grafted pawpaws

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Mon Nov 23 07:28:25 EST 2020

Hey Lee! Nice to hear from you, I hope that you are well!

Yes, thank you. Water is not an issue in this case I believe.

My shading system should not be either, but let me describe and tell me
if you think it is too much.
I plant new grafted trees in full sun. I take an opaque 4 foot high
plastic tree tube and leave it as an open sheet. I set it like a screen
on the SW corner of the plant so it gets AM full sun almost to 1pm then
is shaded in our scorching summer afternoons. The shade is not full from
the plastic, but sun intensity is much reduced.

For others considering tree tubes for animal protection or whatnot- I
tried leaving tree tubes as full enclosure tubes for a couple summers
and killed pawpaw trees apparently by heat build up. It is better to
leave big gaps for airflow in the sheet-type tubes. But in 7a central
NC, I have better luck with sheets for shading pawpaws.

I grow seedling pawpaws in tubes in 6a VA no problem, but I also leave
big gaps in summer for airflow. Close up tight in winter. against
vertebrates

I realize as I write this, that I have grown (and killed) a LOT of
pawpaws by this point!

The seedlings and sprout transplants thrive. It is only the grafted ones
that die (except for the Shenandoah who let me have such good fruit for
a bit - just long enough to miss it now...)

--
Elizabeth Hilborn, DVM
Bee Well Mobile Veterinary Services, PLLC