[nafex] Wild Peach Seed

Jerry Lehman jwlehmantree at gmail.com
Wed May 17 22:27:03 EDT 2017

On 5/17/2017 8:45 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
> The down side of this transaction is that the Hong Kong people who sent them to me avoided U.S. inspection by lying about the contents.  Just in case the seeds brought some unwanted surprise, I soaked them in bleach - now I hope they germinate.
I hate to tell you this but soaking them in bleach will not take care of
the sharka of virus, if they come from a region where sharka exists.  As
I understand that it will be in the cotyledon's flesh and the seedling
would be infected. The last time sharka was brought into the US maybe 15
or 20 years ago USDA spent millions of dollars to eradicate it as it
would be devastating to the commercial Prunus industry. To bring it into
this country legally you would 1st need to get an import permit and then
it would go to Beltsville for greenhouse testing and then if it tests
free of any injurious disease it would be released to you for quarantine
growing for a minimum of 2 more years. But I feel quite strongly you
would not even be able to get an import permit to begin with. Sharka I
believe is one of the most USDA feared plant viruses.