[nafex] speaking of quinces

Henry treehugger53ah at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 17:52:21 EDT 2016

I can't answer your question, but speaking of quinces, can any of you steer me toward a wholesale source for quinces or Chinese quinces?

--Henry Fieldseth
Minneapolis, MN, Zone 4
http://www.FriendsSchoolPlantSale.com

 I have a quince tree here
 at 7000 feet elevation in NM. It's at least 15
 years old.

 It
 has never flowered. Anyone have any ideas why? Could it be
 that the
 cold kills the flower buds?
 We're not that frigid here (maybe zone 4)
 but the winters are dry, sunny and windy.

 Is there any other possible
 reason? Is there some way I could check to
 see if it has even formed flower buds in the
 fall?

 Regards,

 Jay

 Jay Cutts
 Director, Cutts
 Graduate Reviews
 Lead Author, Barron's
 MCAT Prep Book
 Lead Author, Barron's
 MCAT Flash Cards
 Lead Author, Barron's
 LSAT Prep Book
 (505)-281-0684
 10 am to 10 pm Mt Time, 7 days

 On 5/21/2016 9:42 AM, Anton
 Callaway wrote:
 > Betsy,
 >
 > I've been growing
 quinces for a few decades, but have just about given up
 because of rust.  If you can't wipe out all the red
 cedar trees within a 10 mile radius (that's an
 exaggeration), then you will have problems with rust.  My
 last ditch effort was to bring in a 'Lisle's
 Special' quince, which was purported to be resistant to
 rust.  It is not.  I took out the tree last year.  The
 only quince I have remaining is a seedling of Lisle's
 Special.  It is also showing a lot of rust.  I expect it
 will be yanked out, too in a few years.

 > Sorry for the bad
 news.  I love the fruit also.

 > Lester Davis gave me a quince-like tree a
 few years ago.  It is certainly not C. oblonga, but the
 fruit is similar in flavor.  It gets rust, but not so
 severely that I want to remove it.  It also has a wonderful
 fragrance akin to the C. oblonga fruit from my
 grandmother's yard and the exfoliating bark is quite
 ornamental.  You might contact him for more information.