[nafex] My poor young quince

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Tue May 17 20:38:24 EDT 2016

I have never tried growing Cydonia oblonga before as we have severe fire
blight here. However, a site opened up with good ventilation and first
AM sun. I love the fruit so I bought a tree. It arrived in our warm
early spring, I was able to protect it from the late freezes. It was
vigorous and put out at least 10 inches of new growth with healthy leaves.

Now, although it has escaped fire blight, it is suffering extensively
from rust. The apical meristem is brown and necrotic, each leaf is at
least somewhat deformed and every petiole is swelling with future
fruiting bodies. One petiole has already started releasing spores.

I feel like I have staked a goat out in a tiger infested jungle.

So, does anyone have experience with this? Is this young tree destined
to die a long, protracted death, or can it survive this severe rust
infection?  I would rather rip the quince out if it is a hopeless cause
for survival. This IS a bad rust year, my apples are suffering too - not
every year is so bad....

Betsy Hilborn
7a Central NC