[nafex] no peaches this year :-(

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Thu Apr 28 13:33:20 EDT 2016

We had many fruits leafed out from a warm Feb and March when the freezes
occurred. I noticed severe freeze damage to foliage of persimmons and
kiwi. No kiwi fruit this year, all the blossoms were frozen.

Leaves of Nanking cherries, goumi, filberts, pears, Cornelian cherries,
dog rose and apples look mostly OK. Goumi fruit is developing, I am not
sure about the others. Keiffer pears had set fruit and they have been
frozen and aborted. Some fireblight developing in damaged blooms.
Rabbiteye blueberries that had set fruit were frozen, but I am hopeful
for some yields from later blooms. Juneberries had not yet bloomed and
have set fruit normally. Pawpaw flowers were frozen, some blooms
continue, so there is hope for a small crop this year. Mulberries just
leafing out and fruit looks unaffected.

Muscadines had not leafed out so were unaffected. Early growth on pecans
was lost, some oaks may not have a crop of acorns as blossoms damaged,
leaves somewhat scorched. Chestnut leaves were damaged, hickories and
black walnuts emerged with the muscadines and seem to be OK.

I agree with Lucky, the Easter freeze of 2007 was worse. I did not see
any ice flowers or exploding tree branches this spring. I did notice
severe winter damage to trunks of kiwis and Asian persimmons though...
They must have had significant sap flowing that froze during the cold
nights.

Betsy Hilborn
7a, NC