[nafex] Plum Grafting / Budding

Peter Chrisbacher pxbacher at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:07:41 EDT 2016

Greetings Gang -

Just a quick follow-up on my plum grafting this year -

Of the 6 grafts I did, 5 are in bud break!  Photos are attached.  What I
did (thanks to this group):

   1. Waited until rootstock was past bud break and had dime-size leaves
   (rootstock was actively growing)
   2. Used a carefully matched whip & tongue graft (scion containing 2 buds)
   3. Wrapped the entire graft very tightly with a budding rubber
   4. Wrapped the entire graft thoroughly with parafilm, starting below the
   graft and ending above it, carefully covering the lower bud with one layer
   of parafilm, but leaving the upper bud uncovered
   5. Painted the scion top cut with tree cote to help prevent drying
   6. Wrapped with foil in an inverted "bell" shape - the goal here was to
   protect the grafted portion from overheating, while leaving the upper end
   open so the buds could grow out.  The foil is wrapped tightly around the
   rootstock JUST BELOW the graft, with the graft itself only very loosely
   contained within the "bell" portion of the foil.

Photos are attached

I hope this helps the next person!

-Pete

Pete Chrisbacher