[nafex] Rooting Hardwood Cuttings: How Many Buds?

Peter Chrisbacher pxbacher at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:48:35 EDT 2016

Greetings Gang -

I am rooting some recently acquired hardwood cuttings in 50/50
Perlite/Vermiculite. Most of my cuttings have 3 buds above "ground" level.
In most cases, all three buds are now pushing leaves.

What's best practice regarding the leaves?  Leave all three to grow?  Pinch
one off (which one)?  Pinch two off (which two)?

I've not been so concerned in the past, but these cuttings are the only
ones I'll have this season so I'd like to give them their best chance of
rooting.

Thanks!

Pete Chrisbacher
Wilmington, DE