[nafex] North Star vs Meteor vs ?

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 3 12:44:28 EDT 2015

Fluffy,

I do grow sweet cherries, though some are challenging.

Currently, I grow 'Lyons' (the family favorite for taste, but also the shyest bearer), 'Yellow Sweet Spanish' (most susceptible to brown rot, but a truly beautiful tree- worth to grow as an ornamental), 'Van' (the most dependable and productive and quite a nice flavor) and 'NY518'/ 'Nugent' (birds do not ignore them, despite what the catalogs say).  I've attempted and failed to grow 'Merton Bigarreau' (insufficient chilling and too susceptible to bacterial canker).  I also grow 'Belle Magnifique', a Duke with a too-upright growth habit, but nice tart-sweet cherries.

I've also grown 'Craig's Crimson', but had mixed results.

In Georgia, I had more trouble.  Cherry leaf spot and bacterial canker kept me from producing a single sweet cherry.  I attempted 'Black Tartarian', 'Starkcrimson', 'Hedelfingen' and 'Emperor Francis'.

Best regards,

Anton