[nafex] Question about crabapple trees top-worked with domestic apples.

Andre Pierre hello at protocol6.com
Tue Apr 21 10:21:02 EDT 2015

Hi all and happy Spring!

A follow-up question about top-working crabapples....

---

So I've done my top-working of a nice mature crabapple tree in a sunny location via rind grafts.
The 3 (out of 6) branches I worked on had suffered snow damage so replacing them was necessary anyway, and I'm looking forward so see what will happen with the grafts.
I left 3 other branches as sap-drawers. These are 2-3" in diameter and quite long.

Here is my question:

I have s few small pieces of scionwood left, too short for rind or cleft grafting, but I thought perhaps I could bud-graft a few scion buds onto the sap-drawer branches, just to see what will happen.

I know that budding is usually done in the summer, but is it reasonable to expect that a bud graft is likely to work in the early season?

I figure worst case the scion-buds don't grow.

Any thoughts, opinions or comments welcome.

Thanks in advance,

:-)

Andre

--
"Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle