[nafex] Sweet / Pie Cherry on Choke Cherry?

Peter Chrisbacher pxbacher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 08:09:10 EDT 2015

Thank you Jerry - this cherry definitely isn't a black cherry. I raised
Cecropia caterpillars on it last year so I am sure of that (they love black
cherry, as do I as its leaves hold up well when jar-feeding newly hatched
caterpillars). This tree's leaves are less rugged than black cherry, but I
really hadn't ever bothered to figure out exactly what kind of cherry it
was until now.

Yesterday with the tree in full bloom, I took a close look, and the flowers
were all coming directly off the branches, rather than in a "bunch" like on
black or choke cherry. I'm now thinking this might actually be a pin cherry
or similar, as I don't know for sure that it's a native.

Bottom line is the grafting was really just for fun/experiment so I'm
hopeful but won't be heartbroken if I don't get any takes, and if I do,
great (plus I have lots more room for more grafting).

Thanks much for sharing your experience.

-Pete

Pete Chrisbacher
Wilmington DE