[nafex] Sweet / Pie Cherry on Choke Cherry?

Jerry Lehman jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Apr 17 07:27:23 EDT 2015

Hello Chris,

I certainly wish you good luck as I think you're going to need lots of
it, likely more look than is available. There are several different
plant species called chokecherry. I believe the nearest relative would
be black cherry, Prunus Serotina. I had been told more than once that
there is a compatibility problem between it and both sweet and sour
cherry but gave it a try anyway. The graft took and survived for maybe 4
or 5 years. It never really grew like it should, maybe growing 3 feet
during that period and the graft union never healed over, the union
developed a large knot. But try it who knows you might find that 1
variety of black cherry that is compatible. And black cherries have good
root systems and you may find a rootstock that could be propagated
in-vitro.

Jerry