[nafex] Fru Dagmar Hastrup (aka Frau Dagmar Hartopp) rosa rugosa

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Sat Sep 27 20:26:00 EDT 2014

Comparison:
Rosa canina- grown in NC with minimal irrigation - excellent volume
fruit production, medium size oblong hips, not much 'fruit' per hip, but
certainly present and good flavor.

Fru Dagmar Hastrup- grown in Washington state west of the Cascades.
Irrigation unknown. Good volume fruit production, very large round hips,
fruit succulent and more flesh (fruit) per hip, excellent flavor.

The Washington plants may get more water, I do not know, I was visiting
the planting, but it would explain the juicy textured fruit. The fruit
texture may also be explained by degree of ripeness. The birds tend to
pick off my ripe R. canina, whereas the Fru Dagmar Hastrup fruits were
in a more urban environment and there may have been fewer birds around.

One of my challenges has been how to move beyond rosehips as a nibble
treat and really figure out how to harvest the flesh from the seeds.

Any tips?

Betsy Hilborn
7a central NC