[nafex] Question about crabapple trees top-worked with domestic apples.

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Wed Sep 24 22:22:13 EDT 2014

Hi Andre,

I have had mixed results doing this.  The earliest I got fruit was the
following season with one
large apple appearing.  The following season it produced no fruit.  I
was doing whip and tongue
for this top working.  My most spectacular success was grafting a NY
1502 plum onto a Stanley
Plum tree.  That graft started producing plums one year after the
graft.  Now, after a few years,
the original Stanley Plum branches died from Black Knot and the NY 1502
has replaced it with
numerous branches and gives several quarts of plums every season.
Overall though, I don't
feel there were enough returns for the amount of work I put in.  I now
have several such grafts
sitting there for a couple of years now that are producing no apples.
It's still fun to try.

                                Sherwin Dubren