[nafex] looking for a hardiness listing of peach rootstock

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Wed Sep 24 08:48:29 EDT 2014

 In the Niagara peninsula (I think USDA zone 6), Bailey seedlings are
 preferred.

 In the Windsor area of Southern Ontario, there was some interest in the
 past in Siberian C.
 Tzim Pee Tao or Chui Lum Tao were I understand eventually preferred
 there from trial results, but I'm not sure what the growers have settled
 on. I have the impression that the advantage over Bailey for Sw Ontario
 conditions was not great. In British Columbia (Okanagan valley) Siberian
 C seems to be approved, but soil treatment for nematodes is recommended.

 An article from 1950 based I think mostly on U. Minnesota work,
 suggested that St. Julien A was about USDA zone 5 hardiness.

 I have read of prairie-hardy Western sand cherry Prunus besseyi being
 used as a rootstock for peach on well drained soil for short periods,
 and sometimes P. tomentosa, but I am not sure about long term
 compatibility and anchorage.

 Snow cover and root insulation will make a difference.

 Krymsk is just north of the western end of the Caucasus mountains, a
 little SW of Krasnodar which from its wikipedia article has a record low
 of about minus 27 degrees Fahrenheit.

 Krymsk1 is a cross between Prunus tomentosa and P. cerasifera
 (myrobalan). See
 http://www.janssen-rootstocks.nl

 Doug Woodard
 St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada