[nafex] NAFEX on Facebook

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Tue Sep 23 20:32:59 EDT 2014

On 9/23/2014 3:50 PM, Andre Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a very new member of NAFEX (a few months only) and am very happy that this listserv exists together with the web forum and the Pomona PDFs.
>
> When I'm not growing fruit in my backyard, I work as a Systems Administrator, and as such have to be at least somewhat receptive to new technologies.
>
> Everywhere I go I see organizations wringing their hands about whether to diversify beyond their existing websites and forums, and embrace social media channels, and in the end they almost always do.
>
> Usually the main reason for this is the fact that social media sites have huge memberships, and nobody in the organization (leadership) wants to be responsible for "turning their back" on such a large number of potential customers/friends/contributors. Also, the peer-pressure to join is tremendous from every direction, and if you resist you often get branded as being "behind the times", old, or not tech-savvy. Who wants that.
> Finally, the organization may already have a presence on Facebook (or other social media site) thanks to proactive individuals who personally like the social platform in question.
      I concur with Andre with the following:
     There is a price to pay to take in all these facebooker's.  Some of
them have no knowledge of growing fruit and ask a
     lot of stupid questions.  I have always admired the level of
expertise on the Ibiblio Nafex forum and have tried to
     emulate this high standard as administrator of the Midfex Ibiblio
forum.  I have noticed that most chat sites like
     facebook tend to downgrade the quality of discussion, with people
going off on tangents not even related to the
     prime identity of the particular forum.   Although membership in
Nafex is not a prerequisite, my impression is that
     most of the participants in the Ibiblio forum do belong to it. In
the Midfex forum, our club has decided to only
     allow people to participate if they are members of Midfex. There
are questions of security and pertinence of postings
     from people outside our growing area.  I would not like to see a
bunch of people from facebook migrate over to the
     Ibiblio Nafex forum, which I consider a better site than the
'official' Nafex site.  I belong to Nafex, but I seldom go over
     to the site to check the discussions there.  The same people that
clambered for a web based forum will probably go
     for a Facebook chat line, as well.  These 'progressive' minded
people can do more damage for Nafex than any possible
     loss of membership.

                      Sherwin Dubren